I remember way back when I was still in my junior years in high school that I had this addiction in reading Bible stories. Reading New Testament books gives me points of view of how Jesus loves me. However, I had this hesitance in reading the Old Testament because of fear of reading about the wrath of God. But then as I grew older, I realized that Old Testament is part of the Bible and that I wouldn’t understand Jesus love if I won’t consider it.
The Old Testament books of the Bible are often being ignored by most Christians because they contain the old covenant. However, learning how to read it will open up your understanding. Want to know exactly what I did to enjoy reading it?
First, I looked for a time that my schedule is free. I made it as my Old Testament reading time. By this, I have secured my time and my devotion of reading the Old Testament. One more thing, by doing this I made sure that I won’t be obliged doing others stuffs for that time is saved for my Bible reading.
I used a Youth Bible while I read the Old Testament. Well, you won’t need an actual Youth bible to understand it. But what I did is I familiarize myself with the writers of the Book in the Bible. Some of the message from Old Testament is based on cultures point of view which are difficult to understand without some knowledge of cultural origins of the era.
I pray every time I start reading the bible. When I pray, I ask God to give me wisdom to understand His words clearly. I ask God to guide me understand every revelations of the message that I will encounter. I ask God to be with me as I read His word. I pray that God would open up my heart and understanding as I start reading.
As I read my bible I used to stay inside my room where I can be alone, where everybody will give me space and room for privacy. That way I can have a more intimate time reading my bible and not be distracted by other things.
Lastly, I always had a mini-pad with me where I write everything that I learn. I put them down so that I won’t be able to miss a thing as I continue reading on the next book in the Old Testament. This way I can bring my pad everywhere I go and I can read the passages I love along the way. It helps a lot.
Follow this simple step I did and make your Old Testament reading fun and easy. Always ask for God’s guidance. Use these steps and know God more, His heart and His desires on you.
How to Read the Old Testament
No comments:
Post a Comment